[CentOS] Low random entropy

Sun May 28 08:24:52 UTC 2017
Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.co.uk>

In article <792718e8-f403-1dea-367d-977b157af82c at htt-consult.com>,
Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> On 05/26/2017 08:35 PM, Leon Fauster wrote:
> >> Am 27.05.2017 um 01:09 schrieb Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>:
> >>
> >> I am use to low random entropy on my arm boards, not an intel.
> >>
> >> On my Lenovo x120e,
> >>
> >> cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
> >>
> >> reports 3190 bits of entropy.
> >>
> >> On my armv7 with Centos7 I would get 130 unless I installed rng-tools and then I get ~1300.  SSH into one and it
> drops back to 30! for a few minutes.  Sigh.
> >>
> >> Anyway on my new Zotac nano ad12 with an AMD E-1800 duo core, I am seeing 180.
> >>
> >> I installed rng-tools and no change.  Does anyone here know how to improve the random entropy?
> >
> > http://issihosts.com/haveged/
> >
> > EPEL: yum install haveged
>
> WOW!!!
>
> installed, enabled, and started.
>
> Entropy jumped from ~130 bits to ~2000 bits
>
> thanks
>
> Note to anyone running a web server, or creating certs.  You need
> entropy.  Without it your keys are weak and attackable.  Probably even
> known already.

Interesting. I just did a quick check of the various servers I support,
and have noticed that all the CentOS 5 and 6 systems report entropy in
the low hundreds of bits, but all the CentOS 4 systems and the one old
FC3 system all report over 3000 bits.

Since they were all pretty much stock installs, what difference between
the versions might explain what I observed?

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield