[CentOS] Low random entropy

Mon May 29 03:46:35 UTC 2017

On 05/28/2017 06:57 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> On 28/05/17 23:56, Leon Fauster wrote:

>>> This is partly why so many certs found in the U of Mich study are
>>> weak and factorable.  So many systems have inadequate entropy for
>>> the generation of key pairs to use in TLS certs. Worst are certs
>>> created in firstboot process where at times there is no entropy, but
>>> the firstboot still creates its certs.
>>
>> /var/lib/random-seed and $HOME/.rnd are approaches to mitigate this
>> scenario.
>>
>> --
>> LF
> so there are mitigations - the question really is: why hasn't redhat
> made these mitigations the default for their enterprise products -
> maybe other influences we are unaware of - seems like a huge big hole.
> With the advent of SSL/TLS being mandated by google et al, every
> device needs access to entropy.

The challenge is this is so system dependent.  Some are just fine with
stock install.  Others need rng-tools.  Still others need haveged.  If
Redhat were to do anything, it would be to stop making the default cert
during firstboot.  Rather spin off a one-time process that would wait
until there was enough entropy and then create the default cert.  Thing
is I can come up with situations were that can go wrong.

There are a lot of best practices with certificates and crypto that are
not apparent to most admins.  I know some things for the crypto work I
do (I am the author of the HIP protocol in the IETF).  There is just not
one size fits all here, and people need to collect clues along with
random entropy....