[CentOS] CentOS 6.9, shredding a RAID

Wed May 31 17:13:08 UTC 2017

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 5/31/2017 8:04 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> I've got an old RAID that I attached to a box. LSI card, and the RAID
>> has 12 drives, for a total RAID size of 9.1TB, I think. I started shred
>> /dev/sda the Friday before last... and it's still running. Is this
>> reasonable for it to be taking this long...?
>
> not at all surprising, as that raid sounds like its built with older
> slower drives.

It's maybe from '09 or '10. I *think* they're 1TB (which would make sense,
given the size of what I remember of the RAID).

> I would discombobulate the raid, turn it into 12 discrete drives, and use

Well, shred's already been running for this long...
<snip>
> unless that volume has data that requires military level destruction,
> where upon the proper method is to run the drives through a grinder so
> they are metal filings.     the old DoD multipass erasure specification
> is long obsolete and was never that great.

If I had realized it would run this long, I would have used DBAN.... For
single drives, I do, and choose DoD 5220.22-M (seven passes), which is
*way* overkill these days... but I sign my name to a certificate that gets
stuck on the outside of the server, meaning I, personally, am responsible
for the sanitization of the drive(s).

And I work for a US federal contractor[1][2]

       mark

1. I do not speak for my employer, the US federal government agency I work
at, nor, as my late wife put it, the view out my window (if I had a
window).
2. I'm with the government, and I'm here to help you. (Actually, civilian
sector, so yes, I am.