[CentOS] modestly priced laptop for C7

Thu Nov 2 20:29:22 UTC 2017

On Thu, November 2, 2017 2:41 pm, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>
>>  And you are talking about 8 years old system on what would be called
>>  decent hardware about the same 8 years back, right?
>
> The hardware is 6 years old and, at the time, Tech Report called it
> "the best netbook we've ever tested". So it was quite good (for a
> netbook) at the time.
>
> Everything depends on the OP's intended use, of course. I just wanted
> to disagree that you need better hardware for Linux than for Windows,
> or at least for CentOS 6 than Windows 7.

No I never intended to say you need better hardware for Linux than for
Windows. It is opposite in my opinion, but both these systems pace at
similar curve with their demands. To the contrary to Windows and Linux,
FreeBSD has much slower increase in demands, namely, when Linux and
Windows go up about hardware specs about exponentially, FreeBSD goes much
closer to linear. And therefore, I would predict that the laptop with the
specs of OP will nicely run FreeBSD in 7 years, whereas it will feel slow,
obsolete etc in about 3 (maybe 4) years if one runs latest Linux or MS
Windows on it then.

I hope, this time I finally managed to make myself clear ;-)

Valeri
[The guy who runs hardware for 7-9 years, sometimes longer]

> --
> Yves Bellefeuille
> <yan at storm.ca>

Valeri Galtsev