[CentOS] [External] Creating Spec file for RPM

Sat Nov 25 10:02:37 UTC 2017
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

On 23/11/17 18:39, Andrew W wrote:
> Im trying to learn how to create RPMs but am a little confused by the
> spec file.
OK.

I don't see a reply that answer your questions directly, so here I go...

> Im trying to package up some Python scripts, rather than binary files,
> and I want them to be installed in a subdirectory under /usr/local
> which I shall refer to as /usr/local/X
>
> Ive put the scripts in a tarball under /home/me/X/RPM/SOURCES
Is this /home/me/RPM your rpm topdir? On my setup, sources should go in
$HOME/rpmbuild/SOURCES (see below.)

> but Im getting terribly confused over what to put in the  %build
> %install and %files sections
Build is building - compiling if you are using a "compiled language".

Install should put everything on the directory where you want the final
rpm to install it - but prefixed by the "build root" (i.e. your
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT discussed below.)

Files is a list of files to include in the package. It should match what
you install to the build root. If you list a directory, all its files
are recursively
included, unless you put "%dir" in front of it.

> If I set $RPM_BUILD_ROOT to /home/me/X/RPM/temp then put
How so you set this up? In the environment?

Usually, you include something like BuildRoot: /home/me/X/RPM/temp in
the spec file, and "rpmbuild" sets up the variable for you during build.
You can also use %{buildroot}. See
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rpm-list/2002-July/msg00110.html. These
days you generally get a usable build root without specifying anything.

"%{...}" represents the expansion of a so-called rpm macro - it's the
rpm macro equivalent to the shell's "${...}". rpmbuild defines a number
of macros for you automatically and/or reads in definitions from config
files; more on that below.

> %prep
>
> %setup -q
>
> that will unpack the tarball, yes?, but where to, /home/me/X/RPM/temp ?
No. It will unpack to a directory specified by the rpm configuration. On
my system (CentOS 6), the default is $HOME/rpmbuild. The configuration
takes the form of an rpm macro, which is defined in /usr/lib/rpm/macros
or /etc/rpm/macros. Look for _builddir and also _topdir in these files.
(There may also be a user-specific location where you can configure
this. I forget, as I'm generally OK with the defaults.)

You should probably replace "setup -q" with just "setup", as the unpack
command will then tell you more.

> how would I then tell it to move the files I want from there into
> /usr/local/X and set appropriate permissions on them? The examples
> online all assume you have a makefile with a make install target,
> could I simply use the cp command under the %install section?
Yes. You can put any shell command there. You should just copy the files
to your install location "under the build root", i.e. for instance
%{buildroot}/usr/local/X a.k.a. ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}/usr/local/X.

There are also macros that contain various standard commands, so you can
for instance write "%{__cp}" instead of "cp". This is supposed to make
the spec file more portable. Have a look /usr/lib/rpm/macros*.

I wouldn't install on /usr/local, by the way (like some others who've
responded.) Personally, I reckon /usr should be OK when using the
"native" package manager, but some people argue that /opt is more
proper. I'd use macros for this, too, anyhow. See _prefix, _bindir,
_libdir etc. in the above mentioned files.

> But where am I copying from and to?
You copy from the current directory, where you'll find your tarball
contents - rpmbuild automatically changes to the appropriate location.
For the "to" part, see above.

You should probably make sure the tarball has a toplevel directory of
the form <name>-<version>, by the way. But see
http://ftp.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-specref-macros.html.

> My brain is tied in knots!
Better?

- Toralf