[CentOS] low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Thu Nov 2 14:10:25 UTC 2017

On 11/2/2017 8:04 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I'm just about to build a new server and I'm looking for recommendations on
> what hardware to use.
>
> I'm happy with either a brand name, or building my own, but would like a
> hardware RAID controller to run a pair of disks as RAID1 that is actually
> compatible with and manageable through Linux.
>
> Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If you want raid 5 or 6, then you should get a hardware controller. For
raid 1, mdadm should work just fine.  I would suggest trying it before
buying a raid controller.  If it works for you, you save a few hundred
dollars and you have one less piece of hardware to worry about.

I haven't looked at them in quite a few years, but last time I was in
the market for a raid controller, Areca controllers were the way to go.

--
Bowie