[CentOS] HP laptops with CentOS 7?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Nov 2 14:29:33 UTC 2017

Sorin Srbu wrote:

> I'm looking into getting HP laptops for our department running CentOS 7.
>
> Last time I checked this was some five or so years ago, and when I look at
> https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops, nothing much seems to have
> happened since.
>
> At that time, I had to give up CentOS on laptops, as both Wi-Fi and
> graphics wasn't too well supported with CentOS 5 and 6.
> Is the situation better now with CentOS 7?
>
> We're only allowed to buy the HP, Dell and Apple brands here at this
> university, so what I'm looking at is basically HP. Apple is not of
> interest > because of their pricing.

I'd prefer Dell, as I said in the post on low-end server, because Dell's
support is decent or better. Also, Dell does know Linux on the server side
- they offer RHEL... and their OMSA DVD boots... into CentOS. <g>
<snip>
And about CentOS on laptops... I've got this circa 2009 HP Netbook. The
ancient Ubuntu netbook-remix was way obsolete, so I needed to update it (I
only use it while traveling, for email and browsing). I just dd'd a CentOS
6.9 i386 live iso to a flash drive (and I still HATE systemd)... and it
booted. Perfectly. First time. Then I rebooted, and "install" is an
option. Did that, and it worked perfectly.

Happy camper, here.

       mark