[CentOS] low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 16:39:52 UTC 2017

On 2 November 2017 at 12:21, hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:
> Richard Zimmerman wrote:
>>
>> hw wrote:
>>>
>>> Next question: you want RAID, how much storage do you need? Will 4 or 8
>>> 3.5" drives be enough (DO NOT GET crappy 2.5" drives - they're *much* more
>>> expensive than the 3.5" drives, and >smaller disk space. For the price of a
>>> 1TB 2.5", I can get at least a 4TB WD Red.
>>

>> I will second Marks comments here. Yes, 2.5" drive enterprise drives have
>> been an issue. +1 for the WD Red drives, so far 3.5" w/ 2tb and 4tb drives,
>> ZERO issues. I've had good luck with HGST NAS drives too. Unfortunately,
>> that will come to an end soon (With WD owning HGST).
>

> Most servers can fit only 2.5" disks these days.  I keep wondering what
> everyone is doing about storage.

The 2.5 inch drives have a pretty good lifetime these days and seem to
be all you can get for various storage systems. It is like back when
we all wanted and loved 5.25 drives and all you could get was the
crappy 3.5 inch ones. And I expect in 3-5 years the 2.5 inch ones will
be replaced with only able to get the in card SIMM like drives.

Stephen J Smoogen.