[CentOS] modestly priced laptop for C7

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Nov 3 13:48:11 UTC 2017

On 11/02/2017 03:38 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 02:09:04PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Yves Bellefeuille wrote:

>>> On my Acer Aspire One 522 (two-core AMD C-50 1.0 GHz processor with 2
>>> GB of RAM), CentOS 6 is noticeably smoother than Windows 7. Windows
>>> uses the battery more efficiently, however.
>>>
>> The reql question is what the o/p wants the system *for*. As I mentioned,
>> I have my '09 HP Netbook (1101?), and I just loaded CentOS 6 i386 on it,
>> and it runs acceptably. Now, once I switch the WM from *bleah* Gnome to
>> KDE, or maybe something lighter, I'll be fine... but I only use it while
>> traveling, for mail and browsing.
>>
>> What *are* you going to be doing with it?
>
> mostly portable email and browsing. if it is good enough it'll probably
> have dev tools on it too for the uncommon occasions when I need to
> build something. If it is good enough I may find other thiings to do
> with it, but I have a reasonably powerful desktop also running C7, so
> many of those "other" things are taken care of there.
>
> Fred

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-11-3000/spd/inspiron-11-3162-laptop

I use that when i want to travel light .. with an SSD and 8gb of RAM (it
says 4gb max, 8gb will work), I get good performance and I can do
anything I need while traveling.  Everything works with CentOS Linux 7
(wifi, graphics, volume buttons, touchpad, etc)