[CentOS] low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Nov 3 17:32:49 UTC 2017

Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> On Fri, November 3, 2017 3:36 am, hw wrote:
>> Valeri Galtsev wrote:
<snip>
>>> LSI (or whoever owns that line these days - Intel was the last one, I
>>> recollect)
>>>
>>> With LSI beware that they have really nasty command line client, and do
>>> not have raid watch daemon with web interface like late 3ware had
>>> (alas, 3ware after they were bought out several times by competitors were
>>> drawn down out of existence).

Um, er, if you think the MegaRAID command line tool his user-unfriendly,
the 3-Com one was downright user-hostile. *shudder* I'm really glad the
systems with those have been surplussed.....

>> I like CLIs and don´t like web interfaces ...
>
> I _am_ a command line person myself. Yet, when dealing with RAID, I do
> prefer GUI interface, as it is much harder to screw up when you use 3ware
> web interface, compared to, say, 3ware command client interface, the last
> being much better and clearer than LSI command client... Again, it can be
> just me, or it can be the same for many people that our perception of
> things in GUI is less prone to grave mistakes.

As I said, anyone who wants an easy to use script that works with
MegaRAID< drop me an email, and I'll send it to you. It's a script, so you
can verify it's not going to hold your RAID for ransom. <g.

     mark