[CentOS] home on nfs

Patrick Bégou Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Sat Nov 4 13:18:28 UTC 2017

hw a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have the home directory of a user on an nfs server and mount it on a
> client.  When the user logs in, they end up in the root directory rather
> than in their actual home directory and need to cd into it.
>
> The user can read and write to their home directory, so it kinda works
> fine --- but only kinda.  When the user starts emacs, some of the
> settings in ~/.emacs are not applied, but the saved desktop is being
> loaded.
>
> Both machines are running Centos 7.4.  What could be wrong with the nfs
> mount?

About NFS home directories and CentOS have you .nfsxxxxxxxxx tempory
files located in the home of your user ?
I have this very often. I was not able to found any documentation about
this but if they are temporary files for NFS transactions is there a way
to store them on on local client disk area like /tmp instead of a NFS
storage?
These files are some time difficult (if not impossible) to remove by the
user on the client side and stay on the disk... until I remove the
oldest ones on the server side.

Patrick