[CentOS] modestly priced laptop for C7

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Nov 3 23:11:53 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 03, 2017 at 02:26:59PM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 11/03/2017 12:09 PM, Fred Smith wrote:

> >> http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-11-3000/spd/inspiron-11-3162-laptop
> >>
> >> I use that when i want to travel light .. with an SSD and 8gb of RAM (it
> >> says 4gb max, 8gb will work), I get good performance and I can do
> >> anything I need while traveling.  Everything works with CentOS Linux 7
> >> (wifi, graphics, volume buttons, touchpad, etc)
> >
> > Johnny:
> > how hard is it to replace RAM or SSD? and battery, too, when that time
> > comes. 'cause I'd want to do like you and definitely upgrade it right
> > away, cause that 2gig RAM and abysmal 32G storage is pathetic.
> >
> > and I'm going to guess that 1.6 Ghz processor is similar to the 1.6b Ghz
> > Atom I now have, but hopefully less canine-like.
> >
> > I'd be interested in the 14 inch model except it has the same wimpy specs.
> > so, again how much hassle  (and cost) is involved in upgrading like you did?
> >
> > thanks again!
>
> OH .. mine the Insprion 11 that is a generation older than that and does
> not have an eMMC
>
> The memory and hard drive were easy to replace .. BUT .. that one might
> not be.
>
> I have not had to replace the battery.
>
> This is the one I have:
> https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2468360,00.asp

Ah, they've wimped out on the system specs since then. the one they
are selling now has only 2G RAM and 32G storage.

Actually, I'm interested in the cheaper 15 inch model which not only
has 4 G RAM and 500G HD, but a built-in DVD drive! that's surprising,
even the $1500 laptops these days don't come with an optical drive.
I'd quibble with the display resolution, 15" is big enough for higher
resolution. but it's certainly better than my 10" netbook in that
regard.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us