[CentOS] low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Nov 4 21:58:18 UTC 2017

On 11/4/2017 11:39 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> How does spending between 300 and 800 for an Areca 8 port pay out when you
>> can get a P410 for less than 100?  Are they 3--8 times faster, 3--8 times
>> easier to replace, 3--8 times more reliable, 3--8 times easier to use,
>> 3--8 times more durable, 3--8 times more energy efficient?  What is it
>> that
>> makes them worthwhile?
> HP P410 controller is by no means close and by no means comparable with
> any of Areca RAID controllers. If I'm reading the description correctly,
> P410 supports: RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10

you need the optional cache module and the feature option for the p410
to support raid 5/6.   I always ordered my HPs with the larger cache and
the 'flash backed writeback cache' option rather than battery backed
(flash backed uses supercaps which last approximately forever, while
raid battery backup tends to fail in 3-4 years).

p410 is already quite obsolete, the gen8 servers I ordered a couple
years ago came with P420, I don't doubt thats been replaced in gen9 stuff.

my personal preference is to get rid of the raid cards entirely and use
plain SAS HBA's with OS native raid support, for everything but
dedicated windows servers.