[CentOS] How to detect botnet user on the server ?

Leroy Tennison leroy at datavoiceint.com
Mon Nov 6 14:27:46 UTC 2017

Another alternative is to use a FIMS/HIDS such as Aide (Advanced Intrusion Detection Environment), OSSEC or Samhain.  Be prepared to learn a lot about what your OS normally does behind the scenes (and thus a fair amount of initial fine tuning to exclude those things).  Aide seems to work well (I've seen only one odd result) and is quite granular.  However, it is local system based rather than centralized and isn't daemon based so you're left with periodic checks and finding a way to protect the executable, database and configuration.  OSSEC is centralized, daemon based and can check logs for anomalies.  However, it is not nearly as granular as Aide and does produce false positives (for example, if 'detect new files' is used, it will detect based on access time changes rather than modification or change times - but only for a while...).  If you select OSSEC, whatever you do, do NOT put extraneous files in /var/ossec/etc/shared - you can get truly bizarre and baffling results doing so.  I only know about Samhain, if someone has experience I would very much like to hear about it's strengths and weaknesses.