[CentOS] Possibly [OT] ansible vmware inventory plugin

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 22:22:04 UTC 2017

On 11/08/2017 10:37 AM, Mark Haney wrote:
> The problem is that the vmware_inventory.py script didn't come with
> 2.4 in CentOS 7, even though it's in the stable branch.  I'm curious,
> is this a deliberate omission on the CentOS maintainers part?

Both the Fedora package and the vendor's package build script rely on
"setup.py install" to install the majority of packaged files, and
Ansible's setup.py doesn't appear to do anything with the contrib
directory, where the dynamic inventory scripts live. It doesn't look
like the decision to omit those files was made by downstream packagers.

My understanding is that those scripts are intended to be modified to
fit the environment where they're used.  It *might* be useful to include
them as "documentation" in the rpm package, but that doesn't seem like
it would save much over making them available via the source repository.