[CentOS] run bash <filename> from cron

Mark Haney

mark.haney at neonova.net
Wed Nov 15 16:29:50 UTC 2017

This might be a bit OT, but I've never had to do this before and what
I've googled doesn't seem to be working.

I have an ansible playbook that I'm working on that I want to run as a
cronjob.  One task I'm having trouble with is where I have a text file
with lines like:

rd.pl "blah blah"
rd.pl "blah blah blah"

This text file has to be 'executed' using 'bash filename.txt'. (Don't
ask why, I'm working on code that isn't mine.) When I run the playbook
in a console this bit works perfectly.  However, when it's being run
from cron, it dies with 'rd.pl: command not found'.  My original thought
is that cron's $PATH is missing the location to this rd.pl file (it's in
/root/bin), so one suggestion from the Google was to add the path into
/etc/crontab, but I'm still having the same problem.  At this stage,
I've no idea what to try next.  Any ideas?

For the record, this was the only option to handle the task I'm having
issues with inside cron.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova