[CentOS] CentOS 7 "Set Up Enterprise Login" after update and reboot

Richard lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net
Thu Nov 16 21:53:58 UTC 2017

> Date: Thursday, November 16, 2017 15:31:32 -0600
> From: Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>
>
> Dear Experts,
>
> Something went astray with one of my systems. Large number of
> updates were installed on it all at once at some point. Then after
> system was rebooted it does strange thing I haven't seen on other
> systems. The machine is set up to boot into graphic login
> ("runlevel 5" to say it using outdated language). But before giving
> login screen upon (re)boot it tries to walk you through set of
> screens similar to first login to newly created account. However,
> along that it forces to to "Set Up Enterprise Login", and there is
> no way to bypass that, or kill this thing to get graphic login
> screen.
>
> As of this moment I suspect that something went astray during big
> update. I'm not excluding system compromise, however as of this
> moment this seems unlikely, as this system while online is
> constantly watched for "system integrity" (i.e. all files that only
> root should be able to touch are monitored for their checksums,
> etc.) and I would be alerted earlier were anything wrong.
>
> Rolling back big update (using yum history) failed, I am going to
> restore all on the box to the state before that big update (and I
> also can just wipe the drive and reinstall the system). So I kind
> of have ways out.
>
> Still, if anyone can shed some light onto what could have happened,
> or what  could have accidentally get changed, it would be really
> great.
>
> I can ssh to the box, and I can switch it to "runlevel 3" and
> back...
>

> Thanks in advance to everybody who will respond for your insights!
>
> Valeri

I ran into the "first boot" (though not "set up enterprise login")
issue after C-7 updates in mid-september. This only happened on one
of three C-7/mate desktop machines.

With "first boot" I went through the process, including setting up an
account, that was added to wheel as a part of the process. I then
logged out of that and was able to get into my regular account (via
the gui) just fine. I removed that spurious account and cleaned
things up, but ended up in "first boot" again the next time the
machine was rebooted. So, I've now neutered that account, but left it
in place and haven't run into "first boot" again. I haven't been able
to figure out what caused this, yet.