[CentOS] File access in Apache 2.4

Pete Biggs pete at biggs.org.uk
Tue Nov 21 09:15:55 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-11-20 at 18:19 -0800, david wrote:
> Folks
>
> I'm having file-access problems in Apache 2.4 under Centos 7.  In particular:
>
> - I have a file that's readable to every user and every application,
> (writeable by only one user), but my CGI scripts cannot read it.
>
> - Some of my CGI scripts need temporary storage for some files.  They
> are, for example, some internal log files, tnat get cleaned up over
> time, but I want to be able to look at them (as root).  Where would
> you suggest they be placed?  I've tried /tmp/my_private_files/, and
> /var/tmp/my_private_files/, but Apache fails to find even the directory.
>
> Any suggestions?

What is the status of selinux on your system?  If it is on try
switching to permissive mode.

Any error messages in /var/log/messages or your apache logs or audit
logs?

Finally, have a look through the list archives as I seem to remember
some discussion of this recently - specifically threads like:

 https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2017-September/166000.html

P.