[CentOS] Failed attempts

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 27 18:32:31 UTC 2017

On Mon, November 27, 2017 12:13 pm, Leroy Tennison wrote:
> And if you're really security conscious consider using port knocking
> (knock server - amazingly easy to set up. Or use fwknop, a little more
> difficult to set up but not much.  Finally, for the hard core who really
> like pain - write the iptables rules yourself).

Here is quite trivial (but effective!) one:

:SSHSCAN - [0:0]

-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -j SSHSCAN
-A SSHSCAN -m recent --set --name SSH
-A SSHSCAN -m recent --update --seconds 300 --hitcount 10 --name SSH -j DROP
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator