[CentOS] Admins supporting both RHEL and CentOS

Mark Haney mark.haney at neonova.net
Tue Nov 28 13:48:30 UTC 2017

On 11/28/2017 08:06 AM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> With a few exceptions, I see most admins treat CentOS as a single
> rolling release and rely on the ABI commitment assuming things
> just work between point releases. On the other hand I see the
> opposite with RHEL where admins constrain installations to the
> point release.
>
> What is the case with users on this list who support both?

I can't really speak for anyone else, but for me, a lot depends on the
use of the systems.  I typically treat RHEL and CentOS the same way as
far as updating to the latest point release.  It's never bit me in the
past that I am aware of.

The only exception to that is with the SGI Altix 4300/4400s I used to
manage.  We migrated from SLES to RHEL and in those cases, barring a
serious enough bug, those boxes were left alone until time came to
refresh them, such as the move from RHEL5 to RHEL6.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova
mark.haney at neonova.net