[CentOS] Chromium on CentOS 6

Leon Fauster leonfauster at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 29 01:42:35 UTC 2017

Am 28.11.2017 um 12:29 schrieb Tru Huynh <tru at centos.org>:

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 09:07:36PM +0100, H wrote:
>>
>> OK, I have no interest in Flash, however.
>
> If you don't mind installing singularity
> (https://github.com/singularityware/singularity), you can
> run a CentOS-7 docker based container with google-chrome
> at the expense of disk space.
>
> <shameless advertising>
> If you have version >= 2.4 installed you can just do something like:
> $ mkdir ~/home-for-google-chrome
> $ singularity run -B /run -H ~/home-for-google-chrome \
> shub://truatpasteurdotfr/singularity-docker-centos7-google-chrome
> </shameless>
>
> caveat: works for me, and google-chrome is running with --no-sandbox
>
> Cheers
>
> Tru
> PS: https://github.com/truatpasteurdotfr/singularity-docker-centos7-google-chrome

Is it not easier to rebuild for example the EPEL7 package [1]? Did anyone tried it?

I have something like

$ scl enable devtoolset-${X} rpmbuild chromium.spec

in mind. The difficult part will be the exact examination of the
needed toolchain! Some kind of reconstruction of the build process
that upstream is applying every couple of weeks for packaging the
last stable version [2].

Here some (old) resources:

- https://github.com/hughesjr/chromium_el_builder

- Some efforts have been made at NCSU. From there following sentence [3]:
> I am no longer able to build for RHEL 6 because I can't figure out how to patch the source code for
> such an old kernel. Chromium seems to require video features that are only in newer kernels.

So, what is upstream exactly doing to get the build done? Do we need an SIG :-)

[1] http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/epel/7/SRPMS/Packages/c/chromium-61.0.3163.100-1.el7.src.rpm

[2] $ curl -s "https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/all?csv=1" |grep -E "linux,stable" |cut -d"," -f3

[3] http://install.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/yum/itecs/public/chromium/howto/readme.txt

--