[CentOS] HP laptops with CentOS 7?

Thu Nov 2 13:29:53 UTC 2017
Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

Hello all,

I'm looking into getting HP laptops for our department running CentOS 7.

Last time I checked this was some five or so years ago, and when I look at
https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops, nothing much seems to have happened
since.

At that time, I had to give up CentOS on laptops, as both Wi-Fi and graphics
wasn't too well supported with CentOS 5 and 6.
Is the situation better now with CentOS 7?

We're only allowed to buy the HP, Dell and Apple brands here at this
university, so what I'm looking at is basically HP. Apple is not of interest
because of their pricing.
All our desktops and laptops are HP's running Windows 7 and 10, and they
work fine.
We do have some Dells, but only in the server area.
Currently all our CentOS 6 and 7 workstations are custom built OEMs used for
molecular modelling, but are now getting rather long in the tooth.
I have a laptop at the office as a backup, running Ubuntu 16 LTS, as that
was the only thing that found all the hardware properly at the time.
However, I'd rather not go down that particular road for various reasons.

The thing that interests me first and foremost is whether the latest CentOS
7 iteration will install right out of the box with all hardware properly
detected, no manual compiling of drivers or jumping through hoops to _maybe_
getting stuff to work with eg a HP Elitebook 850 G4.

Anybody care to chime in with a comment or hint on the laptop situation
and-or their experiences?

--
BW,
	Sorin
# Sorin Srbu, Sysadmin
# Uppsala University
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry
# Div of Org Pharm Chem
# Box 574
# SE-75123 Uppsala
# Sweden
#
# Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482
# Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
# Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
# O<  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# http://tinyurl.com/ascii-ribbon-campaign
#
# This message was not sent from an iProduct!
#
# Please consider the environment before printing this email.
# Join the campaign at http://thinkBeforePrinting.org
#
# MotD follows:
A father is a banker provided by nature.