[CentOS] CentOS 6 P2V alternatives?

Fri Nov 3 10:16:26 UTC 2017
Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

Hello all,

This week I've tested out a few ways to do a P2V on a rather ancient CentOS
6 server, in order to move it to a Hyper-V host.

So far my tests have failed rather spectacularly.
Initially I was set on doing a simple dd-routine, but was told that the
server cannot be taken off-line as it's being used daily, so had to look for
other solutions.

The disk setup is currently as follows:

Three 500 GB sata-disks, sda, sdb and sdc, are used to build a software raid
called md0. No LVM's here.

Sdd is a 120 GB drive, with partitions for boot, swap, home and /.
No LVM's here either.

The farthest I've gotten is with the Rear solution.
http://relax-and-recover.org/

The backup goes well, but recovery for some reason fails to create initramfs
with all the installed kernels, as well as failing with an error saying it
cannot find /boot/grub, after which the recovery terminates.

Virtualizing systems like this is kinda' new to me, having it done on
Windows only, and I'm not really sure
how to proceed when it's a CentOS system in question.

The physical CentOS-server runs a few license managers and nfs-shares that
server molecular modeling software, that are rather intricately set up (I
inherited this server some fifteen years ago).

Are there any easier ways to do a P2V at all?

--
BW,
	Sorin
# Sorin Srbu, Sysadmin
# Uppsala University
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry
# Div of Org Pharm Chem
# Box 574
# SE-75123 Uppsala
# Sweden
#
# Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482
# Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
# Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
# O<  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# http://tinyurl.com/ascii-ribbon-campaign
#
# This message was not sent from an iProduct!
#
# Please consider the environment before printing this email.
# Join the campaign at http://thinkBeforePrinting.org
#
# MotD follows:
Spare yourself many hard falls; don't jump to conclusions