[CentOS] CentOS 7 "Set Up Enterprise Login" after update and reboot

Thu Nov 16 21:31:32 UTC 2017

Dear Experts,

Something went astray with one of my systems. Large number of updates were
installed on it all at once at some point. Then after system was rebooted
it does strange thing I haven't seen on other systems. The machine is set
up to boot into graphic login ("runlevel 5" to say it using outdated
language). But before giving login screen upon (re)boot it tries to walk
you through set of screens similar to first login to newly created
account. However, along that it forces to to "Set Up Enterprise Login",
and there is no way to bypass that, or kill this thing to get graphic
login screen.

As of this moment I suspect that something went astray during big update.
I'm not excluding system compromise, however as of this moment this seems
unlikely, as this system while online is constantly watched for "system
integrity" (i.e. all files that only root should be able to touch are
monitored for their checksums, etc.) and I would be alerted earlier were
anything wrong.

Rolling back big update (using yum history) failed, I am going to restore
all on the box to the state before that big update (and I also can just
wipe the drive and reinstall the system). So I kind of have ways out.

Still, if anyone can shed some light onto what could have happened, or
what  could have accidentally get changed, it would be really great.

I can ssh to the box, and I can switch it to "runlevel 3" and back...

Thanks in advance to everybody who will respond for your insights!

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago