[CentOS] Possible to have EthX acting like the ipaddress of the attached device (aka bridge) having no ipaddress?

Mon Nov 20 00:34:01 UTC 2017
Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst at barrett.com.au>

Hi

I have a Centos 6.X router/firewall/gateway for a /29 network all connected to one ETHX that has a switch behind it.

This setup works very well but does NOT allow me to QOS one of the devices (a VOIP phone, many lines) as for "tc" to work I need a device, not ipaddress.

I thought to connect the VOIP phone directly to the router, but in doing so I need that interface to ACT like the IPADDRESS of the VOIP box, meaning the ethernet interface has no ipaddress acting like a bridge:

     Internet

  ---------------------------
  |   router ip
  |
  | BRIDGE        base of /29
  ---------------------------
    |             |
    |           -------------
    |           |            |
    |           _____________
    |             |  |  |  |

  ----------------
  | phone system |

That way I can use "tc" to prioritize the traffic for the phone system

If there are other ways to do this, please suggest.

thanks
Jobst

--
Sometimes, the sharpest sword is not enough, but usually...it is.

  | |0| |   Jobst Schmalenbach
  | | |0|   +61 3 9533 0000, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia
  |0|0|0|