[CentOS] HP laptops with CentOS 7?

Thu Nov 2 14:46:21 UTC 2017

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Thu, November 2, 2017 8:29 am, Sorin Srbu wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm looking into getting HP laptops for our department running CentOS 7.
<snip>
> To be fair I must mention here that I love HP printers, and the whole
> attitude of HP towards printers they make. Decent HP laser printers are
> manageable, last forever, and HP keeps making supplies for them. I just
> retired still working B/W LaserJet 4050, that worked for over 16 years,
> was heavily used, still works, print quality is the same as it always had,
> and HP still makes supplies for it.

We buy compatible toner for our HP printers - it's less than half the OEM
price, and works just fine. The vendor I like dealing with is
tonerprice.com. We got a pallet of toner a few years ago; six or so months
later, I needed toner for my cute l'il Laserjet at home... and got the
*same* service, in terms of price and response time.

> I usually recommend Dell: business lines of laptops, see which are offered
> with 3 to 5 years warranty, I do get cheapest 3 year warranty, but Dell
> committing to maintain it for 5 years tell you that that is solidly built,
> and is not expected to be obsoleted soon.
<snip>
Seconded. Hell, I tell everyone, including my kids, DO NOT BUY
consumer-grade laptops, only business-grade. Even buying one used online,
they'll last longer than any crap consumer grade.

We have a lot of Dell Latitudes here at work.

      mark