[CentOS] low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

Thu Nov 2 14:53:46 UTC 2017
Richard Zimmerman <rzimmerman at riverbendhose.com>

hw wrote:
>Next question: you want RAID, how much storage do you need? Will 4 or 8 3.5" drives be enough (DO NOT GET crappy 2.5" drives - they're *much* more expensive than the 3.5" drives, and >smaller disk space. For the price of a 1TB 2.5", I can get at least a 4TB WD Red.

I will second Marks comments here. Yes, 2.5" drive enterprise drives have been an issue. +1 for the WD Red drives, so far 3.5" w/ 2tb and 4tb drives, ZERO issues. I've had good luck with HGST NAS drives too. Unfortunately, that will come to an end soon (With WD owning HGST).

Regards,

Richard