[CentOS] low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

Thu Nov 2 15:16:56 UTC 2017
Richard Zimmerman <rzimmerman at riverbendhose.com>

I can help a little here... Yes, dropping NPAPI is a huge problem. FireFox ESR is available for Linux x32 and x64.

Solved my problems using Lantronix Spider IP/KVM device until Java updates, then refuses to run it yet again :(

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

Hopes this helps....

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: CentOS [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Leroy Tennison
Sent: Thursday, November 2, 2017 11:08 AM
To: centos
Subject: Re: [CentOS] low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

Good to know about the HPE and Dell "gotchas", thanks to those who posted.

I can speak to SuperMicro (11 systems, mostly X9 and X10).  Hardware seems to be fine, management utilities (IPMI - like iLO) are more basic.  The real heartburn right now is that the browsers for Linux have pretty much dropped NPAPI which means remote console doesn't work since it needs Java.  They have alternatives on their web site (look for IPMIView and IPMICFG).  One of their solutions only works with Gnome (but I don't remember which one - too long ago).  Differing versions of IPMI firmware have their own quirks.  Bottom line: support is there but more basic and not as easy to use.