[CentOS] modestly priced laptop for C7

Thu Nov 2 18:09:04 UTC 2017

Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>
>> Not intending to contradict (if that ends up as pain, it will be
>> your pain anyway ;-) but I would go higher with specs if you intend
>> to use Linux on it. Linux tends to grow its demands for resources
>> pretty much exponentially (same as Windows does, only from lower
>> starting point).
>
> On my Acer Aspire One 522 (two-core AMD C-50 1.0 GHz processor with 2
> GB of RAM), CentOS 6 is noticeably smoother than Windows 7. Windows
> uses the battery more efficiently, however.

The reql question is what the o/p wants the system *for*. As I mentioned,
I have my '09 HP Netbook (1101?), and I just loaded CentOS 6 i386 on it,
and it runs acceptably. Now, once I switch the WM from *bleah* Gnome to
KDE, or maybe something lighter, I'll be fine... but I only use it while
traveling, for mail and browsing.

What *are* you going to be doing with it?

       mark