[CentOS] modestly priced laptop for C7

Fri Nov 3 01:34:06 UTC 2017
Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net>

On 11/02/2017 10:41 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
> I'm looking to replace my (old, creaky) netbook (Acer Aspire One D255e,
> a screaming dual core 1.6 GHz Atom, and a whole 2 gigs of RAM) with
> something faster but not too large. Sometimes (usually) the netbook is
> painfully slow.
>
> Something like a  hi-res 14 (or 15) inch screen (full HD), minimum of 4 gigs
> RAM, HD of a half terabyte or bigger.
>
> I'd like to not have to go over 600-700 dollars, so I know my choices
> are somewhat limited if I want to avoid the 400-500 dollar windows 10
> junk^H^H^H^Hsystems from BJs, etc.
>
> Something with a quad-core processor, and all hardware works with C7.
>
> I've glanced at Lenovo Thinkpads on amazon where there are several
> "factory refurbished" ones with similar specs to what I mention above
> in the $500-700 range, but I don't know if they're any good or not
>
> I'm open to suggestions from any/all of you!
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

CentOS works well on T-Series thinkpads but be careful of the video,
some use an nvidia card which at least historically had issues in Linux
that caused the battery to run down faster and caused the laptop to run hot.

T series thinkpads use Intel wifi that "just works" with CentOS - at
least in my limited experience. Many laptops require 3rd party drivers
with proprietary firmware to get the wifi working, which can be a pain
in the neck when point release update happens (e.g. 7.3 to 7.4) because
you then have to rebuild the RPM in the new point release or the driver
won't work, and often that means downloading a new nosrc.rpm - which may
not immediately be available.

Somewhere there's a list of wifi hardware that works out of the box with
the Linux kernel, whatever brand you buy I would recommend the wifi
device is on that list.