[CentOS] modestly priced laptop for C7

Fri Nov 3 15:51:31 UTC 2017

On Fri, November 3, 2017 8:48 am, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 11/02/2017 03:38 PM, Fred Smith wrote:

>>> The reql question is what the o/p wants the system *for*. As I
>>> mentioned,
>>> I have my '09 HP Netbook (1101?), and I just loaded CentOS 6 i386 on
>>> it,
>>> and it runs acceptably. Now, once I switch the WM from *bleah* Gnome to
>>> KDE, or maybe something lighter, I'll be fine... but I only use it
>>> while
>>> traveling, for mail and browsing.
>>>
>>> What *are* you going to be doing with it?
>>
>> mostly portable email and browsing. if it is good enough it'll probably
>> have dev tools on it too for the uncommon occasions when I need to
>> build something. If it is good enough I may find other thiings to do
>> with it, but I have a reasonably powerful desktop also running C7, so
>> many of those "other" things are taken care of there.

To add to that: with Dell always watch which WiFi you are ordering, avoid
by all means "dell" WiFi which as such does not exist, it is just
re-branded as dell anything, so you actually don't know what chipset you
get until the machine is in your hands. Luckily Dell got better, and you
can choose Intel WiFi, and that is virtually guaranteed to work with any
modern Linux kernel (FreeBSD may be a bit behind, they probably still
haven't added to wireless stack what is necessary for _the_latest_ Intel
WiFi).

Just my $0.02

Valeri