[CentOS] low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

Fri Nov 3 16:16:20 UTC 2017

On Fri, November 3, 2017 3:36 am, hw wrote:
> Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> If you have not Dell server hardware my choice of [hardware] RAID cards
>> would be:
>>
>> Areca
>
> Areca is forbiddingly expensive.

Yes, and it is worth every dollar it costs. All good RAID cards will be on
the same price level. Those cheaper ones I will not let into our stables
(don't get me started ranting about them...)

>> LSI (or whoever owns that line these days - Intel was the last one, I
>> recollect)
>>
>> With LSI beware that they have really nasty command line client, and do
>> not have raid watch daemon with web interface like late 3ware had (alas,
>> 3ware after they were bought out several times by competitors were drawn
>> down out of existence).
>
> I like CLIs and don´t like web interfaces ...

I _am_ a command line person myself. Yet, when dealing with RAID, I do
prefer GUI interface, as it is much harder to screw up when you use 3ware
web interface, compared to, say, 3ware command client interface, the last
being much better and clearer than LSI command client... Again, it can be
just me, or it can be the same for many people that our perception of
things in GUI is less prone to grave mistakes.

Valeri