[CentOS] low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

Sat Nov 4 09:32:07 UTC 2017
hw <hw at gc-24.de>

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Fri, November 3, 2017 3:36 am, hw wrote:
>> Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>> If you have not Dell server hardware my choice of [hardware] RAID cards
>>> would be:
>>>
>>> Areca
>>
>> Areca is forbiddingly expensive.
>
> Yes, and it is worth every dollar it costs. All good RAID cards will be on
> the same price level. Those cheaper ones I will not let into our stables
> (don't get me started ranting about them...)

How does spending between 300 and 800 for an Areca 8 port pay out when you
can get a P410 for less than 100?  Are they 3--8 times faster, 3--8 times
easier to replace, 3--8 times more reliable, 3--8 times easier to use,
3--8 times more durable, 3--8 times more energy efficient?  What is it that
makes them worthwhile?

> [...]
>> I like CLIs and don´t like web interfaces ...
>
> I _am_ a command line person myself. Yet, when dealing with RAID, I do
> prefer GUI interface, as it is much harder to screw up when you use 3ware
> web interface, compared to, say, 3ware command client interface, the last
> being much better and clearer than LSI command client... Again, it can be
> just me, or it can be the same for many people that our perception of
> things in GUI is less prone to grave mistakes.

It´s much easier to click the wrong button in a GUI than it is to enter the
wrong command in a cli.  If the cli is poor, the gui may seem much better ---
I have a switch like that and I´m pissed that the cli is so bad.  Unfortunately,
there aren´t any decent 1GB switches with at least 24 ports that are fanless :(

And how do you automate a gui?  That´s way easier to do with a cli.