[CentOS] low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

Sat Nov 4 19:41:33 UTC 2017

On Sat, November 4, 2017 1:56 pm, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2017-11-04, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, November 4, 2017 4:32 am, hw wrote:
>>
>>> If the cli is poor, the gui may seem much better
>
> Indeed.  Before the storcli tool came out, the only CLI tool for the LSI
> cards was MegaCli, and it was atrocious.  In that case I can imagine the
> GUI being preferable (even though the GUI isn't very good either).
>
> Even the storcli tool isn't very good (as I've mentioned).  I can
> completely understand someone preferring MSM (the daemon which provides
> the backend for the GUI tool) over storcli.
>
>> I do not. As web interface 3ware has is provided by the daemon, in which
>> you can configure all automated actions you need, and that daemon will
>> do
>> it according to your schedule (but rather the controller itself does
>> most
>> of them as configured through web interface). Those who used 3ware cards
>> do know it and do use that nice feature.
>
> I never used the 3dm2 web GUI.  I thought it was stupid and greatly
> preferred tw_cli.  You can set at least scheduled verifies through
> tw_cli. (I don't know if you could use the 3dm2 GUI to schedule other
> tasks.)  I only use 3dm2 to send out email alerts.  I tried using MSM to
> send out email alerts but I got way way too many alerts for trivial
> events, so I ended up disabling it.
>
>> This does not change my perception that _I_ with my mentality have less
>> chance to screw up and obliterate RAID array when I need, say, to start
>> rebuild if _I_ use GUI web interface, as opposed to command line
>> interface
>> (cli). Even if it is just me, I stay convinced to keep doing it this way
>> which is safer for the data of my users that live on RAID I am dealing
>> with.
>
> This is probably the most important consideration.  Keeping our data
> safe is more important than a CLI vs GUI religious war.  :)
>
> Recently I had to use the LSI BIOS' GUI to configure arrays.  Let me tell
> you, that was really no fun at all.  It was still point and click but
> the GUI was so clunky that it was very difficult to tell what I was
> doing.  And the help was useless, so I had to go to my laptop to do
> research on some of the options that the controller was asking about.

Here I would agree 100%. I used LSI BIOS "GUI" interface and didn't like
it at all. It is more like "norton commander" or "midnight commander" if
anybody still remembers those DOS tools. Anyway, in that LSI BIOS "GUI" I
ended up disregarding mouse, and navigating and choosing actions just by
keyboard ("tab" and "enter" keys, sometimes "esc" key IIRC). I kind of
even didn't think that one could consider that GUI...

Valeri