[CentOS] HP laptops with CentOS 7?

Tue Nov 7 15:28:10 UTC 2017

On Tue, November 7, 2017 12:41 am, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]

I never use AD for Windows, but as far as printing is concerned this
shouldn't matter.

To configure Windows (any of 2000 and higher, before 2000 you would need
to add something to Windows which I will not mention as it is irrelevant
now):

1. In services under printing check two boxes (which are not enabled by
default):

LPD
LPR

This will teach Windows to talk UNIX printing language.

2. to set up new printer after 1 is done: add printer, create new port,
local port (choose LPD - or is it LPR? - in drop down menu), in print
server give hostname (or IP) of UNIX print server, in queue field give
name of the queue; the rest of setup is usual, just choose correct printer
model

For the above one needs to have CUPS listening to LPD (port 515), in Linux
there is extra rpm for that. I found this the most robust setup, so I
still do it this way, which is almost for two decades....

The trick is to have Windows talk to UNIX print server its native language
(LPD) which Windows knows ;-)

Valeri