[CentOS] Semi-OT: hardware: NVidia proprietary driver, C7.4

Mon Nov 20 13:13:34 UTC 2017
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 11/20/2017 05:23 AM, Kretschmer, Jens wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> did you manage to sort out messages from Dracut and /sbin/weak-modules you received while installing kmod-nvidia? We get the same messages while installing kmod-nvidia-384.98-1.el7_4.elrepo.x86_64 on RHEL 7.4 with the kernel 3.10.0-693.5.2.el7.x86_64.

weak modules allow modules built on one kernel version to apply to
another kernel as long as the 'build dependencies' are the same.  There
are many individual drivers, etc in a given kernel and not all changes
involve all areas.  If the things that were used to build a given module
did not change, it can still be run.  If some dependency did change, the
module needs to be rebuilt.  The exact error wording is important .. it
could be a warning or it could be an error requiring module rebuild.

You might get a warning if you do not have the kernel version that the
original module was built on, but it might be (most likely is) OK to run
anyway so long as no deps are changed.

Anyway, the elrepo guys and gals should know if you need a new module or
not for a specific kernel version.