[CentOS] skypeforlinux lacks dependencies, won't update

Thu Nov 23 06:49:55 UTC 2017
Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

Please excuse the sidetrack.

I had to do a Skype-meeting yesterday evening. Some weirdness occurred.

A background; Have two OEM:s, one at work, one at home. Same hardware, same
OS - CentOS 7.4 x64, same repos and both fully updated, same software
installed. I believe the chassis differ though(...).

At work, the rpm from https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/, refused to install
with the same errors as above regarding the libs.

The Skype Flatpak from
https://flathub.org/repo/appstream/com.skype.Client.flatpakref installed just
fine and the test call showed no problems, so that's what I installed at home
too.

The Skype flatpak at home worked beautifully, that is to say for about ten
minutes, then the sound (using a Koss SB/45 headset) it started crackling to
the point of not being usable anymore. I hung up and reconnected, then sound
was fine, for another ten minutes at which point the crackling returned.
Checking the sound prefs, I saw that alsa on the app tab had two instances,
one stable and one that blinked like crazy, like it was opening and closing a
few times a second.

On a hunch I downloaded the skype for linux rpm from the link above and
installed it with yum.
No lib errors!
I started it and gave it a go, and - no crackling whatsoever. In fact it
worked as good as it gets IMHO.

Is there anything that could account for the problem I had?
I read that the network bandwidth may be a problem, and that five Mbps at a
minimum with video is the low mark.
At work I sit on a 1 Gbps up/down network. At home I have 100 Mbps up/down. I
have doubts that the network width was the problem.

Are flatpaks known to cause odd problems at all?

--
//Sorin