[CentOS] [ot] Skype crackling (was: skypeforlinux lacks dependencies, won't update)

Thu Nov 23 22:43:49 UTC 2017
Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org>

On 23/11/17 19:49, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> The Skype flatpak at home worked beautifully, that is to say for about ten
> minutes, then the sound (using a Koss SB/45 headset) it started crackling to
> the point of not being usable anymore. I hung up and reconnected, then sound
> was fine, for another ten minutes at which point the crackling returned.
> Checking the sound prefs, I saw that alsa on the app tab had two instances,
> one stable and one that blinked like crazy, like it was opening and closing a
> few times a second.
>
> On a hunch I downloaded the skype for linux rpm from the link above and
> installed it with yum.
> No lib errors!
> I started it and gave it a go, and - no crackling whatsoever. In fact it
> worked as good as it gets IMHO.

I think this was a known issue with Skype 8.10 for linux itself as I
noticed it when I was looking for answers to the GLIBCXX dependency
issue.  It looks like the skype-stable repo just got updated to 8.11.0
which fixes both the dependency issue and the crackling one.

Peter