[CentOS] how to prevent files and directories from being deleted?

Thu Oct 5 09:32:16 UTC 2017
hw <hw at adminart.net>

Mark Haney <mark.haney at neonova.net> writes:

> On 10/03/2017 01:12 PM, hw wrote:
>>
>>> See
>>>
>>> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2016/09/20/managing-temporary-files-with-systemd-tmpfiles-on-rhel7/
>>>
>>> how to manage tmpfiles.
>> Thanks, I´ll look into that.  I wouldn´t consider a directory like
>> /var/run/mariadb in any way as only temporary --- and wouldn´t consider
>> directories that are required for the system to work as temporary,
>> either.
> That directory isn't temporary.  The files almost always are, but not
> the directories.  As I said, whatever it is you're doing, it's wrong.
> I wouldn't continue to keep a setup like that as it's not standard
> practice to keep data in /var/run that isn't temporary.

Well, what am I supposed to do?  The socket (or what it was) needs to be
put somewhere, and IIRC, it wasn´t my choice to put it there but is a
default.  With mariadb, there are some defaults you can´t reasonably
change because other software expects files where they usually are.  And
I don´t want to change that, I just want mariadb and lighttpd and other
things to start on reboots rather than being broken because someone
decided that files/directories they require are to be deleted on reboots
before they can start.

> However, you seem to be insistent on doing things contrary to best
> practices so.....
>>> Curious, how did you install MariaDB that you have such a problem? The
>>> package shipping with CentOS does not create such issue.
>> I´m using the packages from mariadb.org.  The old version that comes in
>> Centos isn´t recommended, and I need features only the newer versions
>> provide.
>>

>> Lighttpd is from epel, and it has basically the same issue.
>>

> What issue? That the PID is dropped on reboot?  What else are you
> putting in there?  I'm beginning to question whether you know what
> you're doing or not.  Lighttpd doesn't store any persistent info in
> /var/run/ because, like everything else, /var/run isn't for persistent
> data.

IIRC, lighttpd won´t start unless you mess with where it puts its pid
file.  I think I had to resort to put it into /tmp or something like
that because the place where it´s supposed to put it gets deleted on
reboots.

I´ve never before had issues like this.

--
"Didn't work" is an error.