[CentOS] home on nfs

Fri Oct 27 15:02:53 UTC 2017
Cameron Smith <cameron at networkredux.com>

There are seven fields on each line in a typical Linux "/etc/passwd" file.

For a line that looks like this:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

1. root: Account username.
2. x: Placeholder for password information. The password is obtained from
the "/etc/shadow" file.
3. 0: User ID. Each user has a unique ID that identifies them on the
system. The root user is always referenced by user ID 0.
4. 0: Group ID. Each group has a unique group ID. Each user has a "primary"
group that is used as the group by default. Again, the root group's ID is
always 0.
5. root: Comment field. This field can be used to describe the user or
user's function. This can be anything from contact information for the
user, to descriptions of the service the account was made for.
6. /root: Home directory. For regular users, this would usually be
"/home/username". For root, this is "/root".
7. /bin/bash: User shell. This field contains the shell that will be
spawned or the command that will be run when the user logs in.

I would take a look at that user's line in /etc/passwd and see what their
home directory is set to.

Cameron