[CentOS] how to prevent files and directories from being deleted?

Mark Haney mark.haney at neonova.net
Tue Oct 3 17:24:01 UTC 2017

On 10/03/2017 01:12 PM, hw wrote:

>> See
>>
>> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2016/09/20/managing-temporary-files-with-systemd-tmpfiles-on-rhel7/
>>
>> how to manage tmpfiles.
> Thanks, I´ll look into that.  I wouldn´t consider a directory like
> /var/run/mariadb in any way as only temporary --- and wouldn´t consider
> directories that are required for the system to work as temporary,
> either.
That directory isn't temporary.  The files almost always are, but not
the directories.  As I said, whatever it is you're doing, it's wrong.  I
wouldn't continue to keep a setup like that as it's not standard
practice to keep data in /var/run that isn't temporary.

However, you seem to be insistent on doing things contrary to best
practices so.....
>> Curious, how did you install MariaDB that you have such a problem? The
>> package shipping with CentOS does not create such issue.
> I´m using the packages from mariadb.org.  The old version that comes in
> Centos isn´t recommended, and I need features only the newer versions
> provide.
>

> Lighttpd is from epel, and it has basically the same issue.

What issue? That the PID is dropped on reboot?  What else are you
putting in there?  I'm beginning to question whether you know what
you're doing or not.  Lighttpd doesn't store any persistent info in
/var/run/ because, like everything else, /var/run isn't for persistent
data.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova