[CentOS] Voice/Fax Modem advice

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Wed Oct 4 17:20:38 UTC 2017

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017, Jose Maria Terry Jimenez wrote:

> El 4/10/17 a las 17:45, david escribi?:
>
>> Folks
>>
>> A have a PCIe modem (Conexant ChipSet, PCI id = 14f1:2f83.? It interfaces
>> to my land-line (POTS) telephone line in the United States.? On Windows, I
>> had a good answering machine package (Ventafax) that reported CallerID,
>> recorded messages, sent/received fax, and had a scripting language that let
>> me say "To leave a message for Alice, press 1; to leave a message for Bob,
>> press 2", etc.
>>
>> I'm trying to move this function to a Centos-based system without going to
>> the expense or complexity of Asterisk (expense because of specialized
>> telephony cards).
>>
>> My research found a driver (at www.linuxant.com), but it required that I
>> recompile the driver.? I got absolutely lost trying to follow the
>> directions which seemed to be steering me towards a custom Kernel.
>>
>> So, my question to the group wisdom is:
>>
>> - Is there any hope in trying to find a suitable driver for this device
>> without building a custom kernel?? And if a custom "module" is needed, I
>> might need help compiling it.
>>
>> - Is there a inexpensive modem that Centos 7 supports with the needed
>> functions?? and maybe some software applications that might help?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> David
> Hello
>
> You can install an Asterisk with a "mini-gateway" like
> http://www.grandstream.com/products/gateways-and-atas/analog-telephone-adaptors/product/handytone-503
> And is not so complex write a dialplan for the functions you say. There is
> many tutorial over the HT503 and Asterisk in the wild!

I know this is not the answer you are looking for but the standalone ATA's
are not very expensive and there is http://nerdvittles.com/ to help you get
going. This guy gives you various Centos, Debian, raspberry pi based iso's and
other cookbooks to easily build your own PBX. The good news is most of it
"just works" as long as you understand the terminology.

I have had good luck with the Obihai 202 ATA. Never could get good
call quality from the grandstream stuff but maybe that is just me.

HTH,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org