[CentOS] Weird bandwith behaviour (download throughput) on CentOS based gateway

Jobst Schmalenbach

jobst at barrett.com.au
Thu Oct 5 01:41:34 UTC 2017

Hi.

I have a company gateway that is connected to a 30/30 Fiber connection, network termination point is a MRV OS-904.
It acts as a firewall/router for the DMZ/hosts/lans behind.

Software: CentOS 6.9, bare minimum install, all latest patches.
Hardware: Xeon CPU, Intel server MB with two Intel PRO 1000 (e1000, e1000e) network cards, adaptec RAID, 8GB RAM

On the hosts/lan behind I can happily achieve 28.8 mbs - it seems it's being capped at that speed by the provider.

However, on the host itself I cannot get passed 820k/s max, even if I switch off iptables and anything else that could interfere with the download/upload bandwidth.

I have no idea why this is the case - It only matters when I need to "yum update" as the updates take 4 times longer than on the CentOS DMZ hosts behind it - but yes, its rather annoying!

Where do I need to look?
What am I missing?

Jobst

--
Passwords are like underwear. You don't share them, you don't hang them on your monitor, or under your keyboard, you don't email them, or put them on a web site, and you must change them very often.