[CentOS] Voice/Fax Modem advice

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Fri Oct 6 01:05:47 UTC 2017

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017, hw wrote:

> me at tdiehl.org wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Oct 2017, hw wrote:
>>
>>> A SPA122 ATA from Cisco might be useful as a gateway, they are cheap.
>>> You?d be using it kinda in reverse, but I don?t see why that shouldn?t
>>> be possible.
>>>
>>> Other than that, specialized cards have come down in prices, probably
>>> because ppl aren?t using them anymore.  You might also want to look
>>> into Patton gateways, but they tend to be rather pricy and are a hell
>>> to set up unless you?re familiar with all the phone-related stuff.
>>>
>>> If your internet connection is decent, it might be a good idea to give
>>> up the POTS line and use a VOIP provider instead, with a asterisk
>>> connected to it.  It would be the easiest way by far.
>>>
>>> Asterisk isn?t too complicated for getting basic phone services to work
>>> on which you can expand over time; you only need to overcome the few
>>> first steps.  Since a Centos package for asterisk is missing, you may
>>> want to compile it yourself, which is easy.  However, I had to disable
>>> one of the drivers/features of asterisk in the build config because
>>> there?s a bug that makes asterisk fail when that feature/driver is
>>> enabled --- I left everything else enabled and don?t know what most of
>>> the stuff is ...
>>
>> The http://nerdvittles.com/ stuff I referenced earlier gives you the choice
>> of Installing on Centos 6/7, Debian 8 or Raspberry PI. They even have
>> virtual
>> box VM's available.
>>
>> See http://wable-repo.wardmundy.net/incrediblepbx/ for a list of all of the
>> choices.
>
> I?m not sure what you?re trying to say; I neither have a facebook account,
> nor
> a cell phone, and I don?t understand why cell phones aren?t VOIP clients that
> can simply be used with asterisk.

I do not have a facebook account either. The first link above is simply a link
to Ward Mundy's semi weekly articles. If you scroll down the page you can
pick the articles that interest you. I ignore anything having to do with
facebook or self driving cars, etc.. Ward writes about many technical things
but tends to specialize in all things related to telephony.

The 2nd link allows you to pick out the type of pbx that interests you and then
points you to links to his articles that instruct you how to download and build
your choice of pbx. You just have to be care not to click on the stupid ads.

For instance http://nerdvittles.com/?p=14208 takes you to his article to build
"Introducing Incredible PBX 13 for CentOS 6 and 7"

HTH,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org