[CentOS] how to prevent files and directories from being deleted?

hw hw at adminart.net
Mon Oct 9 10:21:13 UTC 2017

Mark Haney <mark.haney at neonova.net> writes:

> On 10/04/2017 08:46 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
>> On Wednesday 04 October 2017 13:39:30 Mark Haney wrote:
>>> I'll end this by saying, I hope the production servers you have don't
>>> provide critical services that could jeopardize the lives of people.
>>> I'd ask who you work for, to make sure I avoid them at all costs, but
>>> I'm not sure I'd be told.
>> The company I work for, and the livelihood of the hundreds of employees depend
>> on my servers. In the 30 years I've been in the industry, I've never had
>> problems as you've described
>
> In 30 years you've obviously learned nothing about Unix/Linux.  I'd be
> embarrassed to claim that length of IT service and do something as
> catastrophically stupid as what you're doing now.  Just because it
> hasn't been a problem' doesn't mean it won't.  Seriously, if it were
> me, I'd either retire or hire someone better than you with production
> servers.
>
> You'd think, with your supposed experience, you wouldn't use the 'well
> it's never happened before' as a viable reason for doing something.
> That's ignorant, immature and far more dangerous for your organization
> than I would be happy with as a CEO or Manager. That attitude is never
> excusable.

What do you propose as an alternative?

You can test something, like some software, over and over again in any
way that comes to mind, and at some point, you may conclude that it
seems to be working and may go into production.  That conclusion is
solely based upon "it hasn´t happened yet", simply because whatever bug
of what you´re testing hasn´t shown any effect yet.

Following your argumentation, you would never have a reason to put
something into production, or to use it.

> This conversation is over. You refuse to listen to literally EVERYONE
> ELSE ON THE LIST and therefore not worth anyone else's time trying to
> help you.  (Especially mine.)

Who else?

> I showed my daughter this thread, she's a freshman in the Honors
> College of Engineering at Virginia Tech majoring in Math and CpE, has
> been using linux since she was old enough to sit at a keyboard and
> even she was appalled.  If that doesn't tell you something, nothing
> will.

What was she appalled about?

--
"Didn't work" is an error.