[CentOS] how to prevent files and directories from being deleted?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Oct 9 18:32:32 UTC 2017

Am 09.10.2017 um 17:54 schrieb Jonathan Billings:
> I think that the important learning points today are:
>
> 1.) CentOS7 (and any other distro that uses systemd) will have /run as
> a tmpfs filesystem, and /var/run points to /run on CentOS7, so even if
> you think this disagrees with the FHS, that's the way it is for
> CentOS.

And fun fact: not only RHEL 7 and thus CentOS 7 does so, but too Debian
9 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (I have no newer test install of that distro).

And frankly speaking, I don't see any indication that this violates with
the FHS and that /var/run must persist reboots.

Can we please end this stupid discussion? Enough arguments have been
exchanged to make clear that packages are broken if they ignore the fact
that /var/run content is ephemeral.

Alexander