[CentOS] Samba won't start on Centos 7.3.1611

Alan McKay

alan.mckay at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 21:58:02 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

I've been googling for an hour on this which seems to be awfully
basic.  But I cannot find anything definitive.

[root at centos-gig ~]# systemctl enable smb.service
Failed to execute operation: Access denied
[root at centos-gig ~]# setenforce 0
[root at centos-gig ~]# systemctl enable smb.service
Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory

Have tried things like :
chcon -t samba_share_t /home/amckay

Also took the output from:
getsebool -a | grep samba

and set all them to "on"

Stripped my config down to the most basic.

What am I missing?

# Global parameters
[global]
netbios name = centos
security = USER
idmap config * : backend = tdb

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = No
inherit acls = Yes
read only = No
valid users = %S %D%w%S

--
"You should sit in nature for 20 minutes a day.
 Unless you are busy, then you should sit for an hour"