[CentOS] /boot partition too small

Phil Perry pperry at elrepo.org
Tue Oct 10 18:43:50 UTC 2017

On 10/10/17 15:27, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017, Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> No, you can't do that. /boot is special and needs to be a separate
>> partition.
>
> Needs is a bit strong, as grub2 does support LVM.  It's not a supported
> configuration for Redhat.
>
> I'm not a sure there's a lot to it beyond having the lvm module loaded in
> grub, but I've honestly not tried.

Indeed, /boot does not need to be a separate partition. I have /boot
within the root filesystem on my test boxes where I know I will need to
install many / all kernels for testing / development purposes for the
specific reason that I do not need to set a size for /boot and it can
just consume whatever it needs from the rest of the filesystem.