[CentOS] [External] /boot partition too small

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Oct 11 08:02:50 UTC 2017

On 10/11/2017 12:04 AM, Toralf Lund wrote:
> On 10/10/17 15:55, KM wrote:
>> First off - let me say I am not an administrator.   I need to know if
>> there is an easy way to increase my /boot partition.  When I
>> installed CentOS 6 after running 5, it was my oversight not to
>> increase the /boot size.  it's too small and I can't do yum updates.
>> if it's not easy to actually increase it, is it safe to take a chunk
>> in my root filesystem (like /new.boot or something) and just mount it
>> as /boot from now on so it uses the space or is that not a good
>> idea?  I am sure I could easily copy the rpms/kernel stuff over to it
>> and then unmounts the real /boot and mount this new area as /boot.
>> Can you administrators let me know what you think of all this? Thanks
>> in advance.
> Hi,
>
> Since a lot of people seem to say none of the above can be done, I'm
> starting to feel slightly unsure, but I though gparted could extend,
> shrink and move partitions while preserving data. You'd have to use
> the "live" version when operating on system partitions. See
> https://gparted.org

I would prefer boot up in single, and partition a new boot device, with
the larger /dev/sda1, and whatever else lvm stuff, then copy the file
systems across with dump or xfsdump or whatever, swap the devices and
boot.   this way the old disk is a safe backup.   heck, /boot can be a
SD card or USB stick :-p