[CentOS] Gulliver

Chris Olson

chris_e_olson at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 17:07:31 UTC 2017

We have been fortunate to hang onto one of our summer interns
for part time work on weekends during the current school year.
One of the intern's jobs is to load documents and data which
are then processed.  The documents are .txt, .docx, and .pdf
files. The data files are raw sensor outputs usually captured
using ADCs mostly with eight bit precision.  All files are
loaded or moved from one machine to another with sftp.

The intern noticed right a way that the documents will transfer
perfectly from our PPC and SPARC machines to our Intel/CentOS
platforms.  The raw data files, not so much.  There is always
an Endian (Thanks Gulliver) issue, which we assume is due to
the bytes of data being formatted into 32 bit words somewhere
in the Big Endian systems.  It is not totally clear why the
document files do not have this issue.  If there is a known
principle behind these observations, we would appreciate very
much any information that can shared.